Unless you live in a cave, you’ve seen the alarming headlines highlighting “exploding” college costs and “crushing” student loan debt. Because the media is trying to grab readers’ attention, these articles often use the most startling cases of these serious problems without providing context needed to fully understand the complexity of these issues. A simple internet search reveals the prevalence of these types of articles. Here are just a few recent headlines:
- College Costs and Student Debt Explode?
- Student Loans May Be ‘Next Debt Bomb’ for Economy
- Student Loan Debt Is Crushing America’s Senior Citizens
- Staggering Law School Debts Will Lead to Exploding Debt
- Disaster for Graduates and Taxpayers
The aim here is not to trivialize the challenge students and families face when trying to pay for college or repay loans. These are serious issues that merit serious debate and real solutions. But it’s important to take a realistic look at the college access and affordability challenges we face to encourage a thoughtful and practical debate based on facts.